A day in the life of aBlood Bank Clerk at Hackensack Meridian can be described as follows:
1. Compares orders to specimens for labeling accuracy to expedite the specimen processing procedure.
2. Possesses a thorough working knowledge of the laboratory computer systems and is able to adequately perform all system functions necessary to achieve proper patient accessioning and processing.
3. Separates traumas and other stat specimens from non stats quickly, efficiently and free of errors.
4. Continuously monitors order printer for pending orders and separates them according to specific test and blood products and directs them to the appropriate area.
5. Checks additional cross match orders for availability of blood and blood requirements and informs the charge technologist if any requirement changes need to be made in a timely manner.
6. Aids in reviewing pending orders and retrieves specimens in stat lab and/or notifies designated charge technologist.
7. Ensures that tests are properly logged into the laboratory computer system.
8. Transports blood and blood components to the ORm, PAR, L&D and other emergency areas as need in a timely manner.
9. Performs an identification check with the staff member receiving the unit of blood and/or blood component on the specific hospital unit. Checks that the name and medical record of the patient listed on the requisition slip matches exactly to the name and medical record number of the blood bag.
10. Performs the clerical check of incoming blood inventory and enters blood and blood components into the laboratory system.
11. Assists technologist in performing selected weekly maintenance.
12. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies.